With its AES and XLR outputs and decoding capability of PCM 384K & DSD256, the NuPrime DAC-9 is a reference-class DAC designed for studio professionals. With four digital and one analog stereo inputs, the DAC-9 is a full-featured DAC and preamp ideally suited for high-end systems.
A Reference LE Class Preamp
To meet the requirement of customers who want to eliminate extra components in their system, a high-end preamp capable of driving the power amplifier directly is an essential part of the design. The DAC-9 includes features borrowed from traditional high-end preamps:
- Advanced, FPGA implemented switched-resistor ladder network for controlling volume, i.e., a single resistor in the signal path at any volume setting.
- Individually adjustable volume on each input for precise source level matching.
- Volume adjustment in 99 precise, 0.5dB increments.
As the heart of an audio system, the DAC-9 supports an extensive number of inputs and formats. Utilizing one of the world’s best performing 32-bit audio DACs, the AK4490, EQ is only a first step for designing the ultimate DAC. State-of-the-art solutions, readily available to all vendors, along with the experience and proprietary know-how in creating many Editor’s Choice and Product of The Year award-winning products elevate the NuPrime DAC-9 well above the competition.
Several notable features:
- NuPrime SRC IC chip provides FPGA processing where Input signals are up-sampled to mega hertz before down converted to the targeted sampling rate with ultra-low jitter and distortion.
- AKM Newest Generation: High Sound Quality Premium 32-bit Stereo DAC (AK4490 EQ). State-of-the-art DAC with warmer sonic characteristics, supporting USB PCM 384 and DSD256.
- A proprietary NuPrime implementation that is also capable of decoding DoP formats via coaxial and optical inputs (to support NuPrime Omnia portable device that are able to output DoP stream in addition to S/PDIF).
- NuPrime vibration-free isolation feet (patent pending*)
- Extension port for Bluetooth dongle and WiFi audio streaming (optional)
- Full microprocessor control with memory retention
- Five digital inputs and one stereo input for complete system flexibility
- Supports DSD native playback by ASIO2.1 and DoP method. DSD is decoded natively with the same sample rate as the input source.
- Ultra-low-noise JFETs in the input stage for the lowest possible noise floor
- Volume adjustment in 99 precise 0.5dB increments
- Advanced, FPGA implemented thin-film switched-resistor ladder network for controlling volume, with a single resistor in the signal path at any volume setting
- Individually adjustable volume on each input for precise level matching of sources. If DAC-9 is connected to another preamp or home theater AVP, set the volume @ 94, which is 0dB.
- Exclusive driver software for Windows
- Standard driver software for Mac
- Asynchronous transfer mode
- Very low power consumption on Standby Mode
- Available in black or silver anodized aluminum finish
|Inputs:||1 x USB PCM / DSD Digital (PCM up to 384kHz & DSD up to DSD256 )||1 x Coaxial Digital S/PDIF (PCM up to 384kHz)||1 x Optical Digital S/PDIF (PCM up to 192KHz)||1 x Bluetooth or WiFi receiver module (optional).||1 x AES balance XLR||1 x Analog Stereo RCA (does not go through A2D conversion, analog input is selected by the preamp directly to analog outputs)|
|Outputs:||1 x pair of stereo RCA out (max output 4V)||1 x pair of stereo XLR balanced out (max output 8V)||1 x Optical S/DPIF out|
|USB Sampling Rates:||44.1KHz, 48KHz, 88.2KHz, 96KHz, 176.4KHz, 192KHz, 352.8KHz, 384KHz and DSD 2.8MHz(64), 5.6MHz(128), 11.2MHz(256)||S/PDIF Sampling Rates:||44.1KHz, 48KHz, 88.2KHz, 96, 176.4KHz, 192KHz, 352.8KHZ, 384KHz (Coaxial)||Bit Resolution:||16-32-bits|
|THD+N:||0.0015%||Dynamic range:||>-113dB||Output Impedance:||100 ohm|
|Frequency Response:||10Hz to 80kHz||Dimensions:||235 mm W x 281 mm D x 55 mm H (including feet)||Weight:||2.3Kg|
|Worldwide AC voltage:||(90VAC~130VAC // 210VAC~ 250VAC) With Voltage Select Switch||AC Fuse:||Slow-blow, 1A, 250VA|
Differences Between DAC-9 and DAC-10/10H
The DAC-9 and DAC-10 are exceptional devices. We did not design one as inferior to the other. Users should make their choice based on preferences with respect to sound characteristics, system compatibility and features. While both DACs share the same volume control and preamp design, there are differences:
The DAC-9’s sonic character is slightly warmer than that of the DAC-10. And the DAC-9 offers no integrated headphone amp. The DAC-10’s sonic character falls closer to the absolutely neutral. The DAC-10 features two levels of gain setting for both preamp and headphone amp outputs, with its XLR outputs producing 16 watts of power respectively, thus allowing the DAC-10 to partner with and drive any power amp or headphone. The DAC-10 is the wiser choice for audiophiles who enjoy comparing power amps or do a great deal of critical headphone listening.